Saturday, August 14, 2010

An Homage to The Bell Jar

The Choices
Mixed Media (Japanese Paper, Mylar, Ink) 5x5 framed in shadow box
Copyright of Ingrid Mida 2010

"I had locked myself in the bathroom, and run a tub full of warm water, and taken out a Gillette blade.

When they asked some old Roman philosopher or other how he wanted to die, he said he would open his veins in a warm bath. I thought it would be easy, lying in the tub and seeing the redness flower from my wrists, flush after flush through the clear water, till I sank to sleep under a surface as gaudy as poppies.

But when it came right down to it, the skin of my wrist looked so white and defencless that I couldn't do it. It was as if what I wanted to kill wasn't in that skin or the thin blue pulse that jumped under my thumb, but somewhere else, deeper, more secret, and a whole lot harder to get at." 

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, page 142