Friday, October 17, 2008

Book Review: Queen of Fashion, What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution

Not only am I passionate about fashion, I am also a passionate reader. The stack of books beside my bed wobbles precariously every time I add more books to the pile. I read widely - everything from serious non-fiction to chick lit. I am not fussy about the topic so much as I am about the quality of the writing. I demand writing that is clear, to the point and engaging.

Caroline Weber's book on Marie Antoinette: "Queen of Fashion, What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution" is exactly my kind of book and a must read for both history buffs or fashion fans. From the introduction through to the footnotes, I was utterly entranced by the skillful writing. She weaves a thoughtful and well-researched argument about how Marie Antoinette's choices of clothing and accessories became instruments of politics and power. I could not put the book down.

Caroline Weber will be at the Royal Ontario Museum tomorrow, Saturday, October 17th, from 1-2 pm giving a lecture called "Marie Antoinette: Fatal Flair for Fashion", followed by a book-signing. Tickets are $20 for members and $23 for non-members. The movie "Marie Antoinette" by Sophia Coppola will be shown at 230 pm.

Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution
Caroline Weber
Picador Press, Henry Holt & Co, New York, 2006