Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The J. Paul Getty Museum


The J. Paul Getty Museum is one of my favourite museums of art. The facility sits on 750 acres in the foothills of the Santa Monica Mountains in Los Angeles and is free to the public because J. P. Getty believed that art should be accessible to everyone.

I've been there several times and don't think I've come close to seeing it all. The breadth and size of the collection is mind-boggling. Besides the art, the complex itself (designed by architect Richard Meir) is both modern in its functional elegance and classic in its design. Even the gardens are a delight to the eye.


J. Paul Getty was a eclectic collector of art, furniture and objects des arts. On my recent visit, I discovered an entire pavilion of 18th century French furniture. Look at this delightful Turkish bed. Don't you just want to curl up on it with some friends?


J. Paul Getty Museum
1200 Getty Center Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90049